Number Plate Retention


Read this if you want to retain your existing number plate!

I was faced with a dilemma while I was transiting from the old car with the new. In fact I was contemplating on giving up the familiar car plate number which was with me for the last 9 years. It has a hard decision especially since the old plate held sentimental values.

The dilemma started because I was unsure if I can get to retain the existing car plate number since it was under my dad's name. While I was at the VW showroom,  I was told that I can't transfer the plate under my name.


However after much deliberation, I decided to try my luck from LTA and stated my reasons in retaining the car plate number.

A week or so passed by and I was pleasantly surprised when LTA responded.  All I needed to do is provide documentation proof of father and son relationship. In addition, I need to pay  S$1300.00 for the number plate retention fee. The next step is for the VW agent to submit the sales agreement to prove that I am the new car owner.

When all these have been verified, a sum of  S$1200.00 will be refunded when the new car is registered. In short, if everything went smoothly, all I need to pay is S$100 for the number retention!

Nonetheless, do note that the number plate was only retained for the initial 6 months. And, if the retained car plate number was not used to register for the new car which I had indicated within this period, LTA will forfeit the S$1300.00 paid and stuck off this plate in the registry .

However do note of the following
- If you wish to extend to a longer period, you have to pay additional for the extension.
- You will need to pay a fee of S$1300.00 if you are purchasing a secondhand car
- Part of the documentations needed include an original copy of birth certificate, original identity cards and sales agreement letter.  
- You have to personally make a trip down to LTA in person before they finally approve the transfer.

Anyway to cut the long story short, the entire process at LTA takes less than 30 mins and I was a really happy person that day.

Last but not least, I have to thank LTA as well as my VM sales representative for making this retention possible. At least a part of my old car is with me now.

0 comments