Polo Planned enhancement Part 3

 

Forth modification - The hunt for the Head Unit


When I take delivery of the car, I was wondering if the RCD 310 was iPod friendly. To my dismay, I could only connect my iPod through the AUX. As days passed, I found that this was not a very good way whereby the forwarding of a track was concerned when I was driving. Furthermore, there was no built in GPS and the OE VW Bluetooth add on costs an arm and leg. Thus the search was on for a Headunit which could fulfill my requirement.

I short listed 2 OE VW Headunit. They are the RCD and RNS 510. These 2 sets had both pros and cons. For the RCD, it has got the best sound quality among the VW head units however, in order to customize, additional module has to be add on or a recoding is necessary. Furthermore, these upgrades does not come cheap!

For the RNS, it is a little difficult to procure from the used market. If one managed to find one, the individual must be an OE look diehard fan. Why do I say that? It is because with the kind of resale price this HU is commanding, I can say that there are many other better choices to choose from. Nevertheless, the RNS comes with built in GPS.

Faced with these options, I am wondering if there would be a HU which have a built in GPS, play DVD, built in Bluetooth, IPod connectivity and the works but would not cost an arm and leg. Hmmm.... Actually there are such units in existence. However, they are made in China. I was a little skeptical at first for there made quality but I really needed to see these units with my eyes. Therefore, I made some initial inquire about the compatibility with the Polo and to my surprise, they are and they can be controlled with the controls from the steering wheel. Oh yes, I forgot.... They are branded Road Emperor and Fly Audio.

Depending on the requirements, the road Emperor unit has the above stated functions plus Web surfing capability. However, the built quality of this unit is average. Next, the Fly Audio unit has no web surfing option. However, it has close to OE built quality and the sound quality is not bad either. I thus chose the Fly Audio unit and never look back. 

Now.... Where is my Anti roll bar? Time to contact HAT. Stay tuned for part 3......

0 comments