Polo first drive

I shall blog in detail about our car collection process and my thoughts for the benefit of those who wishes to know what to expect on the day of car collection. So here it goes..

 

Wait for THE call...

For us, we waited for the shipment which takes about 2 months. So, we were really excited when at last, Volkswagen Singapore confirmed the collection date. My wife and I excitedly met up after work and proceeded straight to the showroom in Alexander.

Paper works

Prior collecting the car, you have to verify the paper works first. Our sales representative patiently went through the details,  car warranty as well as the checklist with us.

Things to take note

For the newbies, In case you are unaware, the car warranty is 3 years. And within that 3 years, you are STRICTLY not supposed to perform any car modifications as this will void the warranty. The modifications includes the lowering of the car but doesn't include cosmetic changes such as changing of car rims.

Acceptance Inspection

Our sales representative finally declared "Here are the keys to your baby!" and guided us to the delivery bay.

Our " Red Riding Hood" was there in the delivery bay .... Gleaming by the delivery bay lights shining on it. Like a little boy who first got his new toy, I wanted to drive it out of the showroom straight away.

However I managed to clam myself down and went through the checklist with our sales representative. After inspecting the exterior paint work, engine bay and the trunk, I got an in depth introduction to the interior of the car and how each and every switch works. The  inspection went well except for a small scratch to the rim on the left rear which my eagle eyed wife spotted. This was immediately noted on the acceptance checklist with Volkswagen Singapore.

In addition, the scuff plates and solar film had not been installed in the car. I inspected the engine bay for any signs of leakage before closing it. Finally, I started the engines and watched the instrument panel came alive for the first time.  I sat in the driver's sit and closed the door... Wow!!! What a big difference as compare to my STi.... There was little noise emitting from the engine, with the leather seats and powerful stereo!

First Drive and Performance Review

I finally get to engage the gear to 'D'... With no fan fare, the car slowly creeped forward and soon we were on the way out from the showroom. On the road, the DSG changed the gears seamlessly while maintaining and low rpm on the way to 90km/h. I noted that as compared to the STi, the car gives the driver the feedback through the rumbling exhaust notes. Though this feedback, the driver will have a feel of how fast the car is traveling on the road. As opposed to the STi, I realised the Polo is so quiet that very soon, you will find yourself beyond Singapore's expressway speed limit if you don't have a quick glance at the speedo meter.

The steering feedback what you would expect from a well refined car. Suspension is firm but not uncomfortable however, the car exhibits a fair bit of body roll. The seating position is very comfortable for long drive.... in fact, we have clocked about 130km on the delivery day itself !!

My Thoughts

All in all, I recommend Polo to any people who is looking for a small family car since this car is a good buy  for its built, quality finishes with affordable road tax and the very economical fuel consumption to boot!


Planned Enhancements

I already have plans to enhance both the looks and the handling of this car. So Stay tuned for the next installment !!

0 comments